Health at Every Size®
Health at Every Size® or HAES®
is based on the simple premise that the best way to improve health is to honor your body. It supports people in adopting health habits for the sake of health and well-being (rather than weight control). Health at Every Size encourages:
- Accepting and respecting the natural diversity of body sizes and shapes.
- Promoting all aspects of health and well-being for people of all sizes.
- Recognizing that health and well-being are multi-dimensional and that they include
physical, social, spiritual, occupational, emotional, and intellectual aspects.
- Eating in a flexible manner that values pleasure and honors internal cues of hunger, satiety, and appetite.
- Finding the joy in moving one’s body and becoming more physically vital.
- Promoting individually appropriate, enjoyable, life-enhancing physical activity, rather than exercise that is focused on a goal of weight loss.
To find out more about HAES® you can visit these websites:
Join the Association of Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH) https://www.sizediversityandhealth.org
Read Dr. Linda Bacon’s book: http://www.lindabacon.org/HAESbook/
Read what Dr. Jon Robison has to say: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/506299